Posts Tagged ‘best hori hori’
The Hori Hori Garden Tool: The Ultimate and Best Tool for Gardeners
We use our Hori Hori tool every day at Celtic Farm, and highly recommend them to friends and customers as the ultimate garden tool.
Have you ever been in the garden and need a tool that you did not bring? The Hori Hori Garden Tool is a barebones implement that can provide many of the functions that avid gardeners require. This digging tool is often referred to as a garden knife”, “soil knife” or “weeding knife” and is a true Swiss Army knife for the garden. The word Hori literally means “to dig “, and Hori Hori is used as a digging sound in the language. It has a specialized concave blade that is serrated on one side and can be used for the following:
How do you find the best hori hori garden tool? Here are some things to look for when trying to find this ultimate garden tool:
- weeding in the garden
- cutting roots
- removing plants
- measuring depth
- planting bulbs
- sod cutting
- plant propagating through splitting
- as a hand axe for chopping
- as a trowel
- as the all around, ultimate garden tool
- You want to purchase a full tang Hori Hori. If you are not familiar with the word tang it describes the continuous portion of the blade that extends into the handle of a knife. Why the full tang on your garden knife? A full tang provides the maximum strength and control when using the hori hori in the garden. Cheaper knives have minimal extension of the tang into the handle. YOu can see a full tang hori hori here: <link>
- 3 Rivets in Your Hori Hori Handle. The full tang wont help you if its not securely connected to the wooden handle. Quality Hori Hori’s will have 3 rivets on the handle.
- Stainless Steel Blade. A stainless steel blade provides the rust proof strength required when using the digging tool in the garden.
- Curved, serrated blade. Make sure the blade has a concave curve, and that the serration is of high quality for optimal use of the tool as a saw and cutting implement in the garden.
- Measurement marks. – I find it really handy to have inch marks on the inner part of my hori hori blade. This is the ultimate tool for planting bulbs in the garden, and makes the ultimate garden tool even better.
- Blade length. The Hori Hori blade should be between 6 and 8 inches, with the handle about the same. This length gives perfect balance and provides for the one hand, barebones tool performance that makes it such a joy to use.