Unique Gifts for Gardeners They Will Love
We started our Celtic Farm Gardening Gift Store because the “gifts for gardeners” selection online was limited, of low quality and similar across sites. In running our small flower farm, we needed quality tools, quality garden apparel, and quality options for spreading our love of gardening…essentially, a great set of stuff for us, and gardening gifts to spread the love.
As we expand our offerings, and take feedback from our great customers, our goal is to get better and better, and provide you with a broad set of options for both women and men gardeners.
Here is a quick list of some new and old gardening gifts that are amazingly popular:
- The Apron – about 18 months ago, we worked with a handful of manufacturers to test samples of garden aprons. This was our second product idea, and we wanted a durable, fashionable apron that was functional for the gardener or florist. Since then, we have sold thousands of these great aprons, with an amazing string of 5 star reviews. This is a great gardening gift for any gardener, and an amazing “tool” in the garden.
- The Journal – I wanted a better way of keeping my notes, plotting my dreams and future endeavors on the farm and for our property. The spiral notebook does little to inspire, and gives me flashbacks to school. We worked hard to find the best quality, flexible journal system that was in market, and now offer our Gardening Journal. With three types of paper, and endless expansion capability, it is already a winner on our site. A great and unique gardening gift any gardener will cherish.
- The Gardner’s Tool Belt – Here in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains, it gets just plain hot in the summer. No, I mean like hot hot. Wearing an apron while sweating profusely during chores just doesn’t cut it. So we created a “Bat Belt” for the gardener. A small gardener’s tool belt, that is lightweight, waterproof, and has enough storage for your primary tools. Our Garden Tool Belt is a sure winner as a gift for any gardener.
- The Garden Tool Set – “Most gardener’s already have tools.” Investing in a nice set of tools is rarely something a gardener will do for themselves. They’ll use that cheap plastic handled trowel, or that cultivator they picked up on sale at the hardware store that has a loose head. A great gardening gift is a nice set of hardwood and stainless tools. You can view our gardener’s hand tool set here: Celtic Farm Garden Tools
This is just a short list of great gifts for gardeners. Take a peek at our store to see more. Gifts for Gardners at the Celtic Farm
Cool and Unique Gifts for the Gardener
With the holidays fast approaching, and the rush to find those special, cool and unique gifts, how can you find that special gift for the gardener in your life? To find that standout gardening gift, there are a couple of recommendations.
Cool Garden Gifts: Where to Shop
The gardening gift market is plagued with low quality, plastic goods that barely last a season. You can find high quality gardening gifts made of stainless steel, wood and copper, you just have to look. Here are some quick tips:
- Support Small Gardening Businesses – there are a ton of small, specialized gardening shops online that are run by gardeners and farmers, and usually sell what they use and recommend. Not the big gift stores that just buy in bulk and push their wares.
- Buy From Those That Do – would you buy a car from an appliance dealer? ;). Gardeners know what gardeners need and love, and you can find those unique and useful gardening gifts by doing some research and finding a niche store that fits your gardener’s style.
- Ask Questions and Look for Gardening FAQs – it is my favorite thing, and I just love chatting via email or on Instagram on our unique and cool gifts. Ask questions when you find a store you like, and get recommendations for the type of gardener you are buying for. You will get some cool gift recommendations and save some time.
Now that you have some basic hunting details for that special garden gift, now let’s talk about the type of gardener that is your unique gift target. Here is how I classify gardeners:
- The Serious Gardener – not afraid to get dirt under their nails. They use any garden weapon or tool. Plants relentlessly, and constantly change their landscape. Will go at it with or without gloves. This gardener will love anything gardening related, but will especially love garden tool sets, the Hori Hori or a gardening apron.
- The Casual Gardener – loves the outdoors and gardening. Lives for the stress free feel of the garden. Has others do the heavy labor, but does get dirty on occasion (my wife ;)). Occasionally plants and pots, content with pruning roses and doing light work. So any item that makes her/his gardening experience more pleasurable would be a great gift. Try stainless garden scissors, a great garden gift for the casual gardener. Would love one of our gardening gift boxes.
- The Flower/Vegetable Lover – hands off with the exception of cutting flowers or grabbing vegetables in the garden. Not a dirt lover like the serious gardener, but has a passion for the beauty and variety of plants. Garden snips or a gardening apron to protect clothing would be a great gift for this type. Mostly this unique gardener has an affinity for flower gardening, but also loves farm to table.
So, with all this info on finding that unique gardening gift, hopefully you can take our suggestions and be successful. Here are some links to our unique garden gift collections for men, women and general gardeners.
Unique Gardening Gifts for Women
Unique Gardening Gifts for Men
Unique Garden Gifts for Any Gardener
What Holidays do You Give Your Favorite Gardener a Gift?
First off, let’s get something straight: Any time is the right time to give a gardener a gift!! We are loving, accepting people with an affinity for fun stuff. But seriously, I asked myself a question the other day during the Mother’s day gift run, and thought about what days/occasions are perfect for garden gift giving. So, here is a list:
New Years – what better way to start off the year in anticipation of a whole new gardening season in spring. Great garden gifts here: Hori Hori, tool maintenance kit, new garden tool set, garden scissors, etc.
Groundhog Day – Not your traditional, but a cute idea to give your favorite gardener a gift on this day.
Valentine’s Day – What better day to adorn your sweetheart than with a gardening gift they will cherish for years.
St. Patrick’s Day – in our Celtic tradition, the green holiday is perfect for garden themed gift giving.
Easter – Our favorite holiday, the harbinger of spring blooms, is a time to celebrate all that is beautiful in the garden.
Mother’s Day – if your Mom loves gardening, then gift giving on this special day should always include a garden gift.
Earth Day – need we say more. Sustainable, earth loving gardening gifts are always a big hit on this day, even if it is just a small thought.
Father’s Day – What father wouldn’t love a Hori Hori Garden Knife? There are a ton of great gardening gifts for men that will please any father on this day.
July 4th – going to a party on the 4th? A gardening gift is great for any host or hostess, and can bring great joy on this occasion.
Halloween – Pumpkins, gourds and others are the harbingers of fall. And fall bulb planting gifts, like a dibber/dibble, can be a great gardening gift.
Thanksgiving – By thanksgiving, gardeners are in planning mode for winter and spring, and a journal or planner is a great gift for gardeners.
Christmas – Garden gifts bring light to the dark ages of winter, and stocking stuffers are a great way to bring a smile to any gardener.
Call Them Garden Scissors, Secateurs or Snips
Ok, I have to admit, when I first used them out in our fields, I felt kind of funny. It’s like bringing a steak knife out to do cut lavender, right? Were they really up to the demands of the flower farm? We decided to evaluate a bunch of different garden scissors to find a set of these so called garden secateurs to see which ones we would put in our gardening tools section of our store. We used them to snip, cut, and prune. We ended up with a stainless steel garden snip that had a smooth action, was light and had nice small handles. Why stainless? Other garden scissors we tested (the black metal ones), rusted when they got wet, and became stiff, and did not fare well in the garden and farm environment. We love these scissors, for the following reasons:
- They are beautiful. You have to look stylish when out and about 😉
- The scissors are easy to hold and manipulate. When out in the fields, you need to be able to maneuver and snip at odd angles.
- They are light. If you spend hours in the garden clipping, your hands can get tired from using the wrong, heavy garden pruners.
- They remain sharp. Stainless steel scissors don’t rust and remain sharp even after snipping flower after flower, or stem after stem.
- They fit perfectly in our apron. What good are garden pruner/snips if you can’t have them with you all the time. They fit perfectly in our garden apron.
Check out these great snips for yourself or a garden gift recipient and enjoy them today. You can read more about our garden tool sets here: Garden Tools and Gardening Tool Sets. You can also read more here: Garden Tools
Read more about the best gardening tools and gifts here on our site or in our shop.
How To Get the Most Out of Your Hori Hori Tool
As I work on the farm and garden daily, I don’t go anywhere without my Hori Hori Knife and Tool. I find new uses for my this Japanese Gardener’s Tool every day. I carry it every where I go, and like to have it handy for all types of chores, and it saves me trips back to the garden shed. Either on my gardener’s belt or in my gardener’s/florists apron, it is always ready for action or any chore I can sum up. There are many known uses, but I thought I would create a list of expanded uses for this great garden tool i have found over the years:
- As its namesake describes, it is great for digging with its concave Hori Hori Samurai-like blade.
- It can be used as a quick soil aerating tool to get oxygen to a plants roots and surrounding soil.
- The Hori Hori blade is great for getting weeds at their roots, and with a flick of the wrist can get them root and all.
- The serrated blade is great for cutting through stubborn roots, and root balls.
- The Hori Hori works quite well as a pruning device for small branches or as a small saw for larger branches.
- It works great as a marker stake, and with a hole in the handle, and some string, it makes garden marking easy. You can also use it for planting rows as a line reference.
- I use it as a propagation tool to cut through large root balls and separate.
- The Hori Hori Knife edge cuts through landscape fabric quite well and makes cutting X’s simple.
- Opening bags of soil and amendments can be done quickly with the sharp Hori blade
- The sharp blade can help in harvesting flowers or vegetables.
- It’s great for cutting through irrigation tubing
No matter your use, buy the Best Hori Hori you possible can and use it throughout the garden or farm to make your chores a breeze. Just be careful! The blade is sharp!