How to Buy Peonies
Peony types, characteristics and sources
We’ve had some questions lately from friends and family and online about how to find and buy the best peonies. We grow several varieties for their beautiful blooms and use them in bouquets. In many cases, choosing peonies all depends on your personal preferences, and you’ll need to do some research to see what’s available. This quick guide will go over the types of pennies, some rules to use when evaluating them for your garden, and some great lengths to quality providers online.
Types of Peonies
Peonies, a classic garden favorite, come in a variety of colors and sizes, making them a great choice for any garden. There are two main types of peonies: herbaceous and tree. Each type has several subtypes that are categorized by their flower form and color.
Herbaceous Peonies: Herbaceous peonies are the most popular type of peony. These are the classic, low-growing plants that are known for their showy flowers. Herbaceous peonies can be further divided into single, double, anemone, Japanese and semi-double. Single-flowered peonies have five to seven petals and are the most common type. Double-flowered peonies have many layers of petals, with each layer containing 10 to 60 petals. Anemone-flowered peonies have a single row of petals, with a center of petaloids, which are shorter petals. Japanese peonies have a unique look, with large petals and prominent stamens. Semi-double peonies have a mix of petaloids and petals.
Tree Peonies: Tree peonies are larger plants that have a woody stem and grow up to 3-4 feet tall. They come in a variety of colors and forms, including single, double, and semi-double. The flowers of tree peonies are often larger and showier than those of herbaceous peonies.
Some Peony Rules
When buying peonies from your local nursery, it’s important to consider a few factors. First, look for peonies with large, round flowers and full petals that are evenly distributed. The foliage should be fresh, green, and healthy looking. Additionally, look for peonies with a strong stem and healthy root system. Finally, if possible, smell the peony’s flowers to make sure they have a strong, pleasant scent. With the right considerations, you can pick the perfect peony for your garden or yard.
Here are some general rules for finding the right peony online or in person:
- When picking a peony, one of the most important considerations is the bloom time. Peonies come in three bloom times: early, mid, and late season. Early season peonies usually bloom in April and May; mid season peonies bloom in May and June; and late season peonies bloom in June and July. Consider the bloom time when selecting a peony to make sure it will bloom in the season that you want.
- It’s also important to consider the size and shape of the peony. Generally, peonies come in three sizes: large, medium, and small. The large peonies have large flowers that can be up to 8 inches across; medium peonies have flowers that are up to 6 inches across; and small peonies have flowers that are up to 4 inches across. Additionally, peonies come in different shapes, including single, semi-double, and double. Single peonies have one row of petals; semi-double peonies have two or three rows of petals; and double peonies have many rows of petals.
- Finally, consider the color of the peony. Peonies come in a variety of colors, including pink, white, yellow, red, and lavender. Choose the color that best fits your garden or bouquet.
Where to buy peonies online
Here are some recommended providers of peony roots/tubers
- Dutchgrown – Based in the Netherlands, Dutchgrown specializes in peonies from the world’s best peony growers. They offer a wide selection of single and double peony varieties, as well as rare and rarer ones.
- Peony Shop – Peony Shop is a family-owned business that has been in the peony business for over 20 years. They offer a wide variety of peony varieties, from the classic favorites to the unusual and rare.
- Peony Paradise – Peony Paradise provides a wide selection of peony varieties, from classic favorites to unusual and rare. They also offer a variety of care and maintenance tips, as well as design and planting advice.
- Peony King – Peony King is a leading online source for peony roots, offering a wide selection of single and double peony varieties, as well as rare and rarer ones. They also offer a variety of care and maintenance tips, as well as design and planting advice.
- Flower Bulbs Inc. – Flower Bulbs Inc. has been a leader in supplying quality peony roots for over 25 years. They offer a wide selection of single and double peony varieties, as well as rare and rarer ones. They also provide a variety of care and maintenance tips, as well as design and planting advice.