The March Garden To Do List
Springtime is almost here.
The March Garden Checklist — March is an exciting time for gardeners as the days become longer, warmer, and the winter chill subsides. To help you get your garden into shape this spring, here’s a checklist of 10 things to do in the garden in March:
- Prune shrubs and trees: Pruning is an important part of maintaining a healthy garden. In March, it’s best to prune shrubs and trees before new growth begins.
- Clear debris: Start the season off by cleaning up any debris left from the winter. Remove fallen leaves, twigs, and any other debris that can prevent proper air circulation.
- Add mulch: Mulching helps retain moisture in the soil and reduces weeds. Spread a layer of mulch around your plants and trees to help protect them from the elements.
- Rake lawns: If you’re lucky enough to have a lawn, March is a great time to rake it. Raking helps reduce thatch and prepare the lawn for the upcoming growing season.
- Plant new flowers: Now is the time to get a jump start on your spring garden by planting flowers. Planting in March gives your flowers a chance to get established before the summer heat.
- Fertilize: Fertilizer is important for healthy plants. If you haven’t already done so, March is a great time to fertilize your garden.
- Repair fences and trellises: Check for any damage to your fences and trellises and repair or replace them as needed.
- Plant vegetables: If you’re planning on planting a vegetable garden, March is the perfect time to get started. Plant your vegetables in raised beds or containers for easy harvesting.
- Plant trees: Planting trees in March will give them a head start on the growing season. Just be sure to give them plenty of water and mulch to help them get established.
- Check for pests: Keep an eye out for pests such as aphids and snails. If you spot any, take steps to eliminate them before they cause too much damage.
Following this March Garden Checklist will help you get your garden ready for the spring. With a bit of care and attention, you can create a beautiful garden that will bring you joy all season long.