What Holidays do You Give Your Favorite Gardener a Gift?
First off, let’s get something straight: Any time is the right time to give a gardener a gift!! We are loving, accepting people with an affinity for fun stuff. But seriously, I asked myself a question the other day during the Mother’s day gift run, and thought about what days/occasions are perfect for garden gift giving. So, here is a list:
New Years – what better way to start off the year in anticipation of a whole new gardening season in spring. Great garden gifts here: Hori Hori, tool maintenance kit, new garden tool set, garden scissors, etc.
Groundhog Day – Not your traditional, but a cute idea to give your favorite gardener a gift on this day.
Valentine’s Day – What better day to adorn your sweetheart than with a gardening gift they will cherish for years.
St. Patrick’s Day – in our Celtic tradition, the green holiday is perfect for garden themed gift giving.
Easter – Our favorite holiday, the harbinger of spring blooms, is a time to celebrate all that is beautiful in the garden.
Mother’s Day – if your Mom loves gardening, then gift giving on this special day should always include a garden gift.
Earth Day – need we say more. Sustainable, earth loving gardening gifts are always a big hit on this day, even if it is just a small thought.
Father’s Day – What father wouldn’t love a Hori Hori Garden Knife? There are a ton of great gardening gifts for men that will please any father on this day.
July 4th – going to a party on the 4th? A gardening gift is great for any host or hostess, and can bring great joy on this occasion.
Halloween – Pumpkins, gourds and others are the harbingers of fall. And fall bulb planting gifts, like a dibber/dibble, can be a great gardening gift.
Thanksgiving – By thanksgiving, gardeners are in planning mode for winter and spring, and a journal or planner is a great gift for gardeners.
Christmas – Garden gifts bring light to the dark ages of winter, and stocking stuffers are a great way to bring a smile to any gardener.
Call Them Garden Scissors, Secateurs or Snips
Ok, I have to admit, when I first used them out in our fields, I felt kind of funny. It’s like bringing a steak knife out to do cut lavender, right? Were they really up to the demands of the flower farm? We decided to evaluate a bunch of different garden scissors to find a set of these so called garden secateurs to see which ones we would put in our gardening tools section of our store. We used them to snip, cut, and prune. We ended up with a stainless steel garden snip that had a smooth action, was light and had nice small handles. Why stainless? Other garden scissors we tested (the black metal ones), rusted when they got wet, and became stiff, and did not fare well in the garden and farm environment. We love these scissors, for the following reasons:
- They are beautiful. You have to look stylish when out and about 😉
- The scissors are easy to hold and manipulate. When out in the fields, you need to be able to maneuver and snip at odd angles.
- They are light. If you spend hours in the garden clipping, your hands can get tired from using the wrong, heavy garden pruners.
- They remain sharp. Stainless steel scissors don’t rust and remain sharp even after snipping flower after flower, or stem after stem.
- They fit perfectly in our apron. What good are garden pruner/snips if you can’t have them with you all the time. They fit perfectly in our garden apron.
Check out these great snips for yourself or a garden gift recipient and enjoy them today. You can read more about our garden tool sets here: Garden Tools and Gardening Tool Sets. You can also read more here: Garden Tools
Read more about the best gardening tools and gifts here on our site or in our shop.
A List of Great Mother’s Day Garden Gifts
If your like me, you struggle every year with finding that great, perfect gift for Mom on Mother’s Day. But have you overlooked gardening gifts for Mom as a great option? It seems that every Mom on the planet has a partial green thumb, loves flowers, or would appreciate a kind, thoughtful gift. Here is our list of winners for this year:
- Garden Apron – if Mom loves to be outdoors, is an avid planter, or just likes to keep her clothes tidy while she is out and about in the flower or vegetable garden, this is the gift for her. This is one of the most popular items in our store, and a gift any mother would love, and is tops on our Gardening Gift for Mom list.
- Hor Hori Garden Tool – ok, ok, most of you are saying, “A tool for Mom?”. This is no ordinary tool, and its really a Swiss Army knife in the garden. Its a trowel, weeder, pruner, saw, propagator and planter all in one. Our Hori Hori is beautiful rosewood and stainless steel, light and will be a joy for any mother as a garden gift.
- Garden Kneeler – let’s face it, real gardener’s get down and dirty, and wet soil and dirt can ruin clothes. A garden kneeler provides a comfortable and waterproof kneeling surface for Mom as she goes about her gardening chores.
- Dibber – The garden dibber or dibble is the most simple garden tool for Mom there is. It has been used for centuries to plant seeds and bulbs, and is a great tool for Mom to have out in the garden. A great gift for Mother’s who garden.
This is just a short and sweet list of ideas for those gardening Moms and Mothers. Check out our online store for more ideas and combinations. Happy Mother’s Day!!
Not Every Florist’s Apron is Created Equal
There are a lot of poor quality florist’s aprons out there in the market, and when arranging flowers in a shop or in the field, the flower trade can be demanding: dirt, water, coffee ;). A high quality apron can be a decent investment, and you want it to last, protect your clothing and most of all make your duties easy by having what you need easily accessible. Here are our requirements that every florist or flow arranger should use when shopping for that shop apron that will provide years of use, and look stylish:
- A good florists apron material is waxed canvas. It has to be of significant weight material (they call it heavy), and treated so it shuns water.
- Linen aprons are fun and fashionable, but soak up water and rip over time (no pocket strength).
- There should be ample apron pocket space, and they need to be arranged well: a place for snips, scissors, tools and your phone!
- Main pockets should be double stitched for strength and durability in the florist’s apron.
- There should be a towel holder on the apron for a quick drying of hands or rapid cleanup.
- Smock Straps should cross in the back to distribute the load and be comfortable.
A good apron will cost you between $30 and $50, and you get what you pay for! We offer an affordable, high quality apron that will last years and the best part is, its what we wear on the farm and while arranging!
How To Get the Most Out of Your Hori Hori Tool
As I work on the farm and garden daily, I don’t go anywhere without my Hori Hori Knife and Tool. I find new uses for my this Japanese Gardener’s Tool every day. I carry it every where I go, and like to have it handy for all types of chores, and it saves me trips back to the garden shed. Either on my gardener’s belt or in my gardener’s/florists apron, it is always ready for action or any chore I can sum up. There are many known uses, but I thought I would create a list of expanded uses for this great garden tool i have found over the years:
- As its namesake describes, it is great for digging with its concave Hori Hori Samurai-like blade.
- It can be used as a quick soil aerating tool to get oxygen to a plants roots and surrounding soil.
- The Hori Hori blade is great for getting weeds at their roots, and with a flick of the wrist can get them root and all.
- The serrated blade is great for cutting through stubborn roots, and root balls.
- The Hori Hori works quite well as a pruning device for small branches or as a small saw for larger branches.
- It works great as a marker stake, and with a hole in the handle, and some string, it makes garden marking easy. You can also use it for planting rows as a line reference.
- I use it as a propagation tool to cut through large root balls and separate.
- The Hori Hori Knife edge cuts through landscape fabric quite well and makes cutting X’s simple.
- Opening bags of soil and amendments can be done quickly with the sharp Hori blade
- The sharp blade can help in harvesting flowers or vegetables.
- It’s great for cutting through irrigation tubing
No matter your use, buy the Best Hori Hori you possible can and use it throughout the garden or farm to make your chores a breeze. Just be careful! The blade is sharp!
Gardening Gifts for Women
So how do you buy the perfect unique gardening gift for the female/woman gardener in your life? In order to find that perfect gift, that one that will please a female gardener, you need to identify what type of gardener they are, or how they approach their time in the garden. Over my lifetime, I have put the women gardeners I have met into three different gardening categories (by the way, the men fit into the same exact ones!):
- The Serious Woman Gardener – not afraid to get dirt under her nails. Uses any garden weapon or tool. Plants relentlessly, and constantly changes her landscape. Will go at it with or without gloves. This gal will love anything gardening related, but will especially love garden tool sets, the Hori Hori or a gardening apron.
- The Casual Woman Gardener – loves the outdoors and gardening. Lives for the stress free feel of the garden. Has others do the heavy labor, but does get dirty on occasion. Occasionally plants and pots, content with pruning roses and doing light work. So any item that makes her gardening experience more pleasurable would be a great gift. Try stainless garden scissors, a great garden gift for the casual gardener..
- The Flower Lover – hands off with the exception of cutting flowers in the garden. Not a dirt lover like the serious gardener, but has a passion for the beauty and variety of plants. Garden snips or a gardening apron to protect clothing would be a great gift for this type.
So, I am certainly not saying that one remains in their category over a lifetime, and most drift in and out of different phases, like life in general. So how do you provide a long lasting gift for that special gardening woman that will last and provide years of use out in the garden?
Here are our recommendations for that unique gardening gift for any woman:
- The Gardening Apron – a unique, high quality gardening apron is appreciated by all, and will last years. We recommend a heavy grade cotton canvas with ample pocket space and adjustable size.
- Hori Hori Garden Tool – for the serious female gardener, this Japanese garden tool has been used for centuries to cut, dig and scoop in gardens across the world. Hori Hori means dig in Japanese, and a gardener that receives this gift will do just that.
- The Dibble – the garden dibbler is a great gift for female gardeners that plant out in the garden. It can be used for seed starting, bulb planting and aerating soil.
This is just a short list, check out all our unique Garden Gifts for Females and Men in our gardening gift shop.
Gifts for Her: In the Garden
Are you looking for a unique gift or item for a woman gardener? Whether its your gardening mother, your wife who spends time in the garden or a daughter with a passion for working the soil, this list of great gardening gifts will provide with a number of options.
Best Gardening Gifts for Women
Here are some of our top recommendations for any female gardener:
This is just a sampling of our unique garden gift selection. Click the button below to visit our full shop and find that garden gift you are looking for.
Shop All Gardening Gifts
Handmade Garden Gifts She'll Love
Garden Gift Ideas For Women
Quality Garden Tools For Her
Need a garden gift for him? See our selection: Gardening Gifts for Him
What are some ideas for gardener gifts?
As a gardener and farmer, there is nothing better that a fantastic garden gift. But with soooo many choices online, and a ton of junk, how do you pick the one that would be the best for your gardener friend or family member? Here is a list of my favorites, hopefully one sounds good to you:
- A Gardening Apron – you don’t realize what you are missing until you wear a gardening apron with pockets out in the garden. It’s like bringing your shed with you. If you are like me, I spend more time going back and forth to the garage and shed than I do in the garden. A couple of things to look for: several pockets, waxed canvas, double-stitched apron pockets and adjustable straps. Here is a great apron: Gardening Aprons
- A Hori Hori – The Japanese garden tool, named with the Japanese term “Hori Hori” which means “dig,dig”, is an amazing friend in the garden. The Hori Hori can be used to dig, weed, cut, scrape and measure. With roots back to the Samurai forges in Japan, this gardening sword will be a favorite for any gardener on your list. You can read up on the features in a quality Hori Hori here: The Best Hori Hori Tool
- The Garden Tote – a garden carryall for tools, fertilizer, bulb packs, seeds and more, can be a great partner for the gardener. Our time gardening is limited, and having all you need a foot away can insure your time out there is saved for garden duties.
- The Dibber (Dibbler) – having its roots (no pun intended) with the first gardener’s way back in time, a dibber is a tool for making holes in the soil for seeds and bulbs. The handy tool makes quick work for gardening tasks, and modern dibbers are an attractive wood and stainless steel tool any gardener would love.
- The Garden Tool Holder – pruners, scissors and clippers, also called gardening sharps, are difficult to carry and can damage standard carriers. A thick and solid leather or heavy canvas tool roll can give any gardener a safe place to store their gardening tools.
- Bonsai Scissors/Clippers – garden scissors are an excellent gift for the discerning gardener, and have become quite popular for many reasons. These sharp gardening tools provide many functions out in the garden, and stainless steel scissors will last forever.
So, hopefully this quick list of gardening gift ideas can provide you with the best gift for the gardener in your life (or a gift for yourself).
Our Garden Shop contains a wide variety of unique quality gifts for the gardener. We pride ourselves in only choosing the best unique items, and pick from those we use on a daily basis on our farm and in our gardening chores. These unique garden gift ideas will please even the most discerning gardener.
So, what makes the best gift for a gardener? How do you get gift ideas for that friend or relative that has a passion and love for growing? Here are some ideas on how to find the perfect gardening gift through some questions:
- Does the person appreciate unique gardening gifts?
- What do other gardeners or farmers use and enjoy?
- What can make the hard garden tasks easier or simplified?
- Is there a tool that can make a gardener more productive?
- What do experienced gardeners/farmers use in their gardens that are unique and special?
- Are there specific gifts for female gardeners?
- Are gifts for male gardeners different?
- After a long hard day in the garden, what would be enjoyable?
- Are you looking for a gardening gift for dad?
- Are you looking for a gardening gift for mom?
Where do you start? Enter our shop to see our choices for the best gifts for gardeners based on the questions above.
Our Charcuterie Collection
See our selection of unique, high quality garden gifts that are tested and used on our flower farm at the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountains in California.
She loves to garden, and you want to find that perfect, unique gsrdening gift. Here are some of our best choices in the “gardening gifts for women” section of our store.
The garden is where he is happiest, and you want to find that perfect gift. See our “gardening gifts for men” section to find that perfect, unique garden gift for him.
Gardening tools make the best garden gifts, but you want to make sure you are buying high quality tools. Our Hori Hori Garden knives and stainless tool sets are our most popular and unique garden gifts, and part of our hand-picked collectiom
Want to give a unique and special gift to your favorite gardener? Just looking for a new toy in the garden that’s unique and cool? We have a great selection of quality, special gardener gifts sure to get noticed and let you step out of the same old garden gift ideas.
Hopefully this gives you a broad idea of the types of unique gardening items that would make the best present for a gardener in your life, or for you. You can find more information and more gift giving ideas for the garden in our shop and on our site.