Unique Gifts for Gardeners They Will Love
We started our Celtic Farm Gardening Gift Store because the “gifts for gardeners” selection online was limited, of low quality and similar across sites. In running our small flower farm, we needed quality tools, quality garden apparel, and quality options for spreading our love of gardening…essentially, a great set of stuff for us, and gardening gifts to spread the love.
As we expand our offerings, and take feedback from our great customers, our goal is to get better and better, and provide you with a broad set of options for both women and men gardeners.
Here is a quick list of some new and old gardening gifts that are amazingly popular:
- The Apron – about 18 months ago, we worked with a handful of manufacturers to test samples of garden aprons. This was our second product idea, and we wanted a durable, fashionable apron that was functional for the gardener or florist. Since then, we have sold thousands of these great aprons, with an amazing string of 5 star reviews. This is a great gardening gift for any gardener, and an amazing “tool” in the garden.
- The Journal – I wanted a better way of keeping my notes, plotting my dreams and future endeavors on the farm and for our property. The spiral notebook does little to inspire, and gives me flashbacks to school. We worked hard to find the best quality, flexible journal system that was in market, and now offer our Gardening Journal. With three types of paper, and endless expansion capability, it is already a winner on our site. A great and unique gardening gift any gardener will cherish.
- The Gardner’s Tool Belt – Here in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains, it gets just plain hot in the summer. No, I mean like hot hot. Wearing an apron while sweating profusely during chores just doesn’t cut it. So we created a “Bat Belt” for the gardener. A small gardener’s tool belt, that is lightweight, waterproof, and has enough storage for your primary tools. Our Garden Tool Belt is a sure winner as a gift for any gardener.
- The Garden Tool Set – “Most gardener’s already have tools.” Investing in a nice set of tools is rarely something a gardener will do for themselves. They’ll use that cheap plastic handled trowel, or that cultivator they picked up on sale at the hardware store that has a loose head. A great gardening gift is a nice set of hardwood and stainless tools. You can view our gardener’s hand tool set here: Celtic Farm Garden Tools
This is just a short list of great gifts for gardeners. Take a peek at our store to see more. Gifts for Gardners at the Celtic Farm
What Holidays do You Give Your Favorite Gardener a Gift?
First off, let’s get something straight: Any time is the right time to give a gardener a gift!! We are loving, accepting people with an affinity for fun stuff. But seriously, I asked myself a question the other day during the Mother’s day gift run, and thought about what days/occasions are perfect for garden gift giving. So, here is a list:
New Years – what better way to start off the year in anticipation of a whole new gardening season in spring. Great garden gifts here: Hori Hori, tool maintenance kit, new garden tool set, garden scissors, etc.
Groundhog Day – Not your traditional, but a cute idea to give your favorite gardener a gift on this day.
Valentine’s Day – What better day to adorn your sweetheart than with a gardening gift they will cherish for years.
St. Patrick’s Day – in our Celtic tradition, the green holiday is perfect for garden themed gift giving.
Easter – Our favorite holiday, the harbinger of spring blooms, is a time to celebrate all that is beautiful in the garden.
Mother’s Day – if your Mom loves gardening, then gift giving on this special day should always include a garden gift.
Earth Day – need we say more. Sustainable, earth loving gardening gifts are always a big hit on this day, even if it is just a small thought.
Father’s Day – What father wouldn’t love a Hori Hori Garden Knife? There are a ton of great gardening gifts for men that will please any father on this day.
July 4th – going to a party on the 4th? A gardening gift is great for any host or hostess, and can bring great joy on this occasion.
Halloween – Pumpkins, gourds and others are the harbingers of fall. And fall bulb planting gifts, like a dibber/dibble, can be a great gardening gift.
Thanksgiving – By thanksgiving, gardeners are in planning mode for winter and spring, and a journal or planner is a great gift for gardeners.
Christmas – Garden gifts bring light to the dark ages of winter, and stocking stuffers are a great way to bring a smile to any gardener.
Call Them Garden Scissors, Secateurs or Snips
Ok, I have to admit, when I first used them out in our fields, I felt kind of funny. It’s like bringing a steak knife out to do cut lavender, right? Were they really up to the demands of the flower farm? We decided to evaluate a bunch of different garden scissors to find a set of these so called garden secateurs to see which ones we would put in our gardening tools section of our store. We used them to snip, cut, and prune. We ended up with a stainless steel garden snip that had a smooth action, was light and had nice small handles. Why stainless? Other garden scissors we tested (the black metal ones), rusted when they got wet, and became stiff, and did not fare well in the garden and farm environment. We love these scissors, for the following reasons:
- They are beautiful. You have to look stylish when out and about 😉
- The scissors are easy to hold and manipulate. When out in the fields, you need to be able to maneuver and snip at odd angles.
- They are light. If you spend hours in the garden clipping, your hands can get tired from using the wrong, heavy garden pruners.
- They remain sharp. Stainless steel scissors don’t rust and remain sharp even after snipping flower after flower, or stem after stem.
- They fit perfectly in our apron. What good are garden pruner/snips if you can’t have them with you all the time. They fit perfectly in our garden apron.
Check out these great snips for yourself or a garden gift recipient and enjoy them today. You can read more about our garden tool sets here: Garden Tools and Gardening Tool Sets. You can also read more here: Garden Tools
Read more about the best gardening tools and gifts here on our site or in our shop.
A List of Great Mother’s Day Garden Gifts
If your like me, you struggle every year with finding that great, perfect gift for Mom on Mother’s Day. But have you overlooked gardening gifts for Mom as a great option? It seems that every Mom on the planet has a partial green thumb, loves flowers, or would appreciate a kind, thoughtful gift. Here is our list of winners for this year:
- Garden Apron – if Mom loves to be outdoors, is an avid planter, or just likes to keep her clothes tidy while she is out and about in the flower or vegetable garden, this is the gift for her. This is one of the most popular items in our store, and a gift any mother would love, and is tops on our Gardening Gift for Mom list.
- Hor Hori Garden Tool – ok, ok, most of you are saying, “A tool for Mom?”. This is no ordinary tool, and its really a Swiss Army knife in the garden. Its a trowel, weeder, pruner, saw, propagator and planter all in one. Our Hori Hori is beautiful rosewood and stainless steel, light and will be a joy for any mother as a garden gift.
- Garden Kneeler – let’s face it, real gardener’s get down and dirty, and wet soil and dirt can ruin clothes. A garden kneeler provides a comfortable and waterproof kneeling surface for Mom as she goes about her gardening chores.
- Dibber – The garden dibber or dibble is the most simple garden tool for Mom there is. It has been used for centuries to plant seeds and bulbs, and is a great tool for Mom to have out in the garden. A great gift for Mother’s who garden.
This is just a short and sweet list of ideas for those gardening Moms and Mothers. Check out our online store for more ideas and combinations. Happy Mother’s Day!!
Not Every Florist’s Apron is Created Equal
There are a lot of poor quality florist’s aprons out there in the market, and when arranging flowers in a shop or in the field, the flower trade can be demanding: dirt, water, coffee ;). A high quality apron can be a decent investment, and you want it to last, protect your clothing and most of all make your duties easy by having what you need easily accessible. Here are our requirements that every florist or flow arranger should use when shopping for that shop apron that will provide years of use, and look stylish:
- A good florists apron material is waxed canvas. It has to be of significant weight material (they call it heavy), and treated so it shuns water.
- Linen aprons are fun and fashionable, but soak up water and rip over time (no pocket strength).
- There should be ample apron pocket space, and they need to be arranged well: a place for snips, scissors, tools and your phone!
- Main pockets should be double stitched for strength and durability in the florist’s apron.
- There should be a towel holder on the apron for a quick drying of hands or rapid cleanup.
- Smock Straps should cross in the back to distribute the load and be comfortable.
- It should be easily adjustable.
A good apron will cost you between $30 and $50, and you get what you pay for! We offer an affordable, high quality florist’s apron that will last years and the best part is, its what we wear on the farm and while arranging!